- 1/2 large head red cabbage (about 6 cups shredded)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional–or use 1 tsp. minced garlic)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 tablespoon water
- quick squeeze of lemon juice
- Core the cabbage and slice it very thin. Heat a deep skillet or wok. Once it’s hot, add 1 tablespoon vegetable broth or water and sprinkle the cumin and mustard seeds across its surface. Toast them for about 1 minute and add the asafetida. Add the peas and stir well, scraping the spices up from the bottom. Add the cabbage and sprinkle it with the red pepper and salt substitute and stir well. Add 1 tablespoon of water and quickly cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes. It’s done when the cabbage is to the tenderness you like. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top, stir, and serve.
If you would like to help support my blog, consider shopping on my Amazon Store for Whole Food, Plant Based kitchen gadgets, books, food, home delivered food and more!
Please follow me so that I know you would like more recipes.
5 thoughts on “Red Cabbage and Peas with Cumin and Mustard Seeds”
Sounds delicious! I’ll have to try this soon, thanks for the recipe! I’m now following. If you have time check out my comedy blog and let me know what you think!
Thank you! I will!