How to Make Homemade Nondairy Milk Kefir as seen on BeGreenWithAmyYouTube
Time: 60 minutes or more
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Fermenting time: 1 day or less do to temperature of room
Total Time: approx. 24 hrs
Servings: 4 cups
1-2 Tbsp kefir grains
4 cups Silk Protein Nut milk or nondairy milk of choice (won’t be thick as with protein nut milk)
***If using homemade nut milk or nondairy milk other than Silk Protein Nut milk
1 tsp date paste
½ gallon mason jar with plastic cover
Non-metal slotted spoon
Fine mesh non-metal colander
Jar for storing finished kefir
1. Clean: Clean everything well with regular soap (avoid antimicrobial
soaps). I’m talking the hands, glass jugs, spoons, everything!
2. Assemble: Add 1 Tbsp (ish) of the kefir grains and 4 cups of nondairy
milk to a large glass jug. Cover the jar with either a cover fitted loosely or a paper coffee filter. Secure with a rubber band/ or mason jar band to prevent any bugs or dust from getting in.
3. Ferment: Set in a warm, out of sunlight spot (65 to 85 degrees F) for about 24 hours or less if it is ready. You’ll know your kefir is done when it has slightly thickened and smells fermented. If your kefir has separated into yellowish watery-looking whey and curds, that’s fine! It’s just a sign that you can either reduce the length of fermentation next time or use more nondairy milk next time.
4. Strain: Place a fine-mesh non-metal strainer into the funnel and place in the clean jar
Pour your finished kefir into the strainer, stirring with a plastic or wooden spoon to gently force kefir liquid through. The grains will be left.
5. Start new batch: add the grains back into the large jar that you fermented the grains it. Add 4 cups of fresh nondairy milk (plus date paste) to start the process again for a new
6. Store fresh kefir: Tighten the cover on your kefir and store in the fridge. It will keep 4-6 weeks but the flavor will continue to ripen and the kefir may get slightly fizzy.
Special thanks to Green Star Meetup member JoAnn for this recipe and demo as seen on BeGreenWithAmyYouTube. JoAnn is a fabulous vegan cook who expertly transforms vegan and non-vegan recipes into whole food, plant based, sugar, oil and salt free gems. We are so fortunate to have JoAnn as a member of our Meetup group. If you don’t have a whole food, plant-based Meetup group near you, find out how to find one here: Meet Others: Socialize with like minded people so you don’t lose your mind.
JoAnn recommends this FaceBook kefir/ferment sharing group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/181445115312844/
JoAnn says that “Everything is free but you do reimburse for postage. They also have lots of answers to all those questions. Just ask!!!!”.
Please subscribe so I know you would like me to share more helpful hints, recipes and more which I have learned from awesome people like JoAnn.
Be Strong, Be Well and Be Green!
2 thoughts on “Make Kefir – Non Dairy, No Sugar, Oil or Salt”