EASY VEGAN COLESLAW DRESSING
- 1 cup raw cashews* (soaked in very hot water 1 hour, or in cool water 6 hours or overnight) or sunflower seeds or both
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp date syrup (plus more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard (or yellow mustard, Dijon, or mustard of choice)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or kombucha vinegar
- 4 Tbsp chopped yellow or red onion
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- ½ tsp table tasty
- ½ cup kefir (optional)
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded onion
- 4 cups shredded red or green cabbage
- Soak cashews. Then drain thoroughly and add to a high-speed blender along with water, date syrup, mustard, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, onion, celery salt (or seeds) and kefir.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. If too thick, add more water to thin. If too thin, you can compensate by adding more (raw) cashews (they don’t need to be soaked).
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding salt and pepper to taste, more celery salt or seeds for more pronounced celery flavor, onion for bite, maple syrup for sweetness, mustard for tanginess, or vinegar for acidity.
- Add onion and cabbage to a mixing bowl and top with dressing. Toss to combine. Enjoy immediately or store covered in the refrigerator to chill – about 4 hours.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days. Not freezer friendly. Perfect for pairing with things like Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Vegan Baked BBQ Beans, and Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich
Our very talented cook and Green Star member JoAnne, brought these delicious dishes to our Barbecue themed Meetup Pot Luck. Check out JoAnne’s other BBQ themed recipes.
Please subscribe so I know you would like me to share more helpful hints.
Check out my BeGreenWithAmy YouTube Channel for lots of whole food, plant based hacks, recipes and more.
Be Strong, Be Well and Be Green!
Amy holds a Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate from T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
1 thought on “EASY VEGAN COLESLAW DRESSING”