6 Ingredient Pulled Jackfruit and Cabbage
A healthy and incredibly tasty whole food, plant based alternative to pulled pork or chicken. Quick and easy to make. Even carnivores love it!
- 3 20oz cans jackfruit in brine or water (not in syrup!)
- ½ head of green cabbage, shredded
- ½ head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning (or 1 tsp each of chili powder, paprika (smoked or sweet), cumin, liquid smoke, tasty table, pepper)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut the jackfruit into smaller pieces by cutting it from core to the edge for the most pulled texture.
- In a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat add the cabbage, onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions and cabbage are tender and beginning to brown, about 5-10 minutes. Add in the chopped jackfruit and vegetable broth. Cover and continue to cook another 10 to 15 minutes, until the jackfruit is soft enough that it can be mashed. Mash the jackfruit/cabbage mixture with potato masher, until it breaks apart and looks pulled or shredded.
- To finish the jackfruit mix in ½ cup of BBQ sauce and the BBQ seasoning. Continue cooking on stovetop on medium low for 20-35 minutes stirring every so often allowing the bottom to blacken but not burn. Remove from the burner and pour over 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and stir to combine. Place back on the burner for about 10 minutes, until it looks delicious and golden and even a few strands get a bit burnt. Remove from the burner and if desired stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce to make it even saucier.
Our very talented cook and Green Star member JoAnne, brought these delicious dishes to our Barbecue themed Meetup Pot Luck.
Please subscribe so I know you would like me to share more helpful hints.
Check out my BeGreenWithAmy YouTube Channel for lots of whole food, plant based hacks, recipes and more.
Be Strong, Be Well and Be Green!