This is from the Straight Up Food Website.
Love Cathy Fisher’s SOS Free recipe book Straight Up Food
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 3 mins
Total time: 23 mins
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 3½ ounces dates (about 6 Medjool or 12 Deglet Noor), pitted and quartered
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup dry/uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats, ground into a flour in the blender
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Place the nondairy milk and dates into a blender, and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients (be sure to grind the oats before doing this).
- Combine the water and quinoa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes with the lid still on.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside (or use a silicone baking dish).
- Mix the cornmeal, oat flour, baking powder and soda with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Blend the milk and dates until smooth.
- Pour the date mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients, and stir; add in the cooked quinoa, and stir. Spread the batter evenly into the pan (it will be thick), and bake uncovered for 30 minutes. The cornbread will not rise very much, and it will have cracks in the top when done. Set aside to cool at least 10 minutes before cutting into 9 pieces.
For added flavor (and color), add ½ cup corn kernels or blueberries along with the cooked quinoa in step 6.