Only 15 minutes to make this melty, stretchy, gooey, dairy-free cheese. Pour it on nachos, serve it on a baked potato, use it in a quesadilla, or wherever you desire.
Adapted from : Sam Turnbull • It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw cashews (see notes)
- ¼ cup raw unsalted sunflower
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted vegetable broth or water
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white miso paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon date syrup or 1 pitted date
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pickles jalapeno juice
- To soften the cashews: Boil them for 10 minutes until soft. OR soak the cashews for four hours or overnight. Drain before using.
- To make the nacho vegan nacho cheese: Add the softened cashews, water, and all the remaining ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth. It will be very watery.
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat, while stirring. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, you may want to pour the liquid through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth into the pot, to remove any cashew bits that didn’t grind up. This will ensure a smooth cheese texture. As you stir it will start forming clumps, and then all of a sudden it will become a cheesy gooey mass of yumminess. This takes about 5 minutes. Continue to cook and stir for an additional minute or two to make sure it has firmed up completely.
*If you want to return the cold cheese back to dipping consistency, reheat over medium heat while stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. Once it is hot and bubbling it might have thickened up too much. You can thin it out by adding a tablespoon of water at a time, stirring it in until desired consistency is reached.
Thanks to our Green Star member JoAnn who brought this to the Taco Bar when she did the Taco Tuesday YouTube presentation.
Please follow me so that I know you would like to see more helpful information.
If you would like help with learning other ways to navigate this lifestyle, please contact me for a coaching session. I have learned many strategies, tips and hacks while coaching people since 2012. I would love to help you be successful as well.
If you would like to help support my blog, consider shopping on my AmazonStore for Whole Food, Plant Based kitchen gadgets, books, food, home delivered food and more!
If you would like to donate to help me with the costs of maintaining this website, recipe development, social media publicity and more, pleasedonate here.
Be Strong, Be Well and Be Green!