Our Green Star member JoAnn did a BeGreenWithAmy YouTube Recipe Demo and showed us how to make these Spicy tacos made with crumbled tempeh (adapted Betty Goes Vegan by Anne & Dan Shannon).
JoAnn likes to add fresh chopped mushrooms and sauté before adding the tempeh mixture. She also like to add chopped walnuts. (Both were in the taco filling she made for our Taco Tuesday dinner)
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 -20 minutes
- Total Time: 25- 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 tacos
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can drained Mexican-spiced diced tomatoes (JoAnn uses No Salt Added Ro-tel, the tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 fresh jalapeño, diced
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. mushroom powder
- 1 tsp. chipotle pepper powder
- 1/4 c. Bragg’s coconut aminos
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp. water
- salt substitute + pepper to taste
- Salt Free Vegetable Broth or water for sautéing
- 6-8 hard taco shells
- vegan cheese, guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, black olives, and lime wedges for serving
- Crumble your tempeh into a large mixing bowl. Then, using a large spoon, mix in the garlic, tomatoes, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chipotle pepper, and Bragg’s. Once your tempeh is completely mixed into the spices, mix in the onion and pepper. Then drizzle the water 1 tablespoon at a time into your mix while stirring your ingredients continuously. Taste a little bit of your tempeh and add tasty table and pepper to taste.
- Heat your favorite cast-iron skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, pour in some broth and toss in the tempeh mixture and liquid smoke if using. Flip your tempeh-vegetable mixture a few times so that it browns evenly. You’ll know it’s ready when your vegetables are tender and your tempeh has crispy edges. It should take about 10 minutes.
- While your tempeh is cooking, heat your taco shells slightly in the oven following the directions on the package.
- Once your taco shells are warm, fill them with the tempeh and vegetable mixture. Top with vegan cheese and set aside so it can melt slightly.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, radishes, vegan cheddar cheese, lime wedges and anything else you like on your tacos!
Check out what JoAnn brought to our Taco Bar!
Please follow me so that I know you would like to see more helpful information.
Check out my BeGreenWithAmy YouTube Channel for lots of whole food, plant based hacks, recipes and more.
Be Strong, Be Well and Be Green!